NEW YEARS DRINK!
2020 has been a rough year, so to ring in the new year - you deserve a FANCY drink!
BLACKBERRY THYME SPARKLER
1/2 c. blackberries + 8 more for garnish
1 c. Water
1 c. sugar
1 bottle of champagne
4 ounces or 1/2 c. gin
4 long sprigs of thyme
1 c. ice
gold baking sugar for the rim
1. In a small saucepan, bring blackberries, water, and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the blackberries are soft and the simple syrup has turned to a bright pink/redish color.
2. Remove from heat, drain blackberries, and allow to cool. This step can be done well in advance as the syrup will keep for at least a week in the refrigerator.
3. Prepare your champagne glasses. Here is a dirty little secret of getting those beautiful salts and sugars to stay atop the rim: butter. It adheres perfectly. Place the tiniest amount between your fingers and rub just around the rim of the glass before dipping the glass into the gold baking sugar.
4. Begin by adding 1 ounce of gin followed by 1.5 ounces of homemade blackberry simple syrup to each glass.
5. Next drop two blackberries in each glass.
6. Fill the rest of the glass with champagne and top with a sprig of thyme in each glass.